Wednesday 20 May 2015

1st attempt at paella

I was recently out with some lovely ladies celebrating a friend's birthday and I ordered a risotto. My friend remarked how she never orders it as it's so easy to do at home. I am a bit like that with meatballs and cottage pie but admitted I had never attempted risotto or paella. She encouraged me to try since it's so easy so I did! 
This is the link to the recipe I adapted.

Ingredients
1 white onion
1 red pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
1 knob of butter
2 salmon steaks
100g paella rice
Sliced salami
50g bacon lardons
Turmeric
Paprika
Garlic
1/2 pint chicken stock
Dash Limoncello
Handful of Peas
Handful of sweet corn
2 tbsp pureed tomatoes

Method
1. Add oil to frying pan and add chopped onions. Fry until soft and then add chopped red pepper. Add garlic and heat for 5 mins.
2. Make up 1/2 pint of chicken stock and stir in paprika, turmeric, extra garlic and Limoncello.
3. Add the rice to pan with onions and peppers. Stir in tomatoe puree and leave for 2 minutes.
4. Meanwhile melt knob of butter in a 2nd pan. Add bacon lardons and salami to butter.
5. Add 3 ladles of stock to onions and rice and allow to simmer. Repeat as all moisture is absorbed (roughly every 5 mins).
6. Remove skin from salmon steaks and chop into chunks. Add to 2nd pan and cover.
7. Add peas and sweet corn to rice and add more stock. 
8. When salmon is cooked, stir in the salmon, bacon and salami into rice with the remainder of the stock.
9. Chop fresh parsley and add to finish and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment