Sunday 24 May 2015

Norfolk 2015

I may not have mentioned it before but my husband is a birdwatcher and now also works for the RSPB resulting in many of our family days being outdoors with his binoculars making an appearance.  I love being outdoors and so it's a happy day all round especially if it's a national trust site which often involves a nature trail or treasure hunt and play area for the kiddies.


On our way to Norfolk, we took a slight detour and went to Wicken Fen which is a marshlands site with beautiful yellow tall grass and easy paths for the pram. (They also have rare hen harriers so happy hubby too).  We had a few hours walking round the site, pausing for photo's by the wind turbines and then visiting the visitor centre where there was colouring in and crafts for children.

On the Sunday we visited Sherringham park which boasts tall beautiful trees creating a tranquil backdrop for a nature trail.
I also saw the first snowdrops of the season here which blanketed the undergrowth reminiscent of the winter scenes of Narnia.

We visited the grand Blickling Estate on a grey day with drizzle and an out of bounds play area. There was, however, plenty to see indoors with many rooms open to the public which transported me to a typical Downton scene.


There were also trees to climb outdoors and nooks and crannies to explore and I kindly let the children accompany me on my ventures.


Kings Lynn museum had a 'carousel and candyfloss' exhibition on so I left my husband to his feathery friends and ventured very early to this little town. Close to the tourist office were these old buoys and compass.
Later we returned to this spot and watched the sun set.


I read a good review about a farm close to where we staying called church farm and we were certainly not disappointed. There was a good selection of animals for the children to see, pet, and feed.
I personally loved the pigs and piglets! 


There was also loads of areas for the children to play outdoors with tractors, embedded trampolines and play apparatus. Outdoors had a covered picnic area although there was also an indoor cafe with an indoor play barn.

Towards the end of our week we also visited Hunstanton beach for a windy picnic and some kite flying. 


Thus endeth our Norfolk holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment